Sunday, June 15, 2008

On Reading ...

MSC sent me a link to an interesting "news" post about a young man reading an entire book. As a professed bibliophile, I thought it was one of the funniest posts I had ever read. However, it started me thinking...how many times have I felt physical pain for a person when they said they were not a reader. I can't imagine reading not being part of my life. I have always been surrounded by books (growing up with a teacher for a mother and a librarian for a father) I thought it was normal for kids to be read to before going to sleep at night, going to the library to check out books, and carrying a book whenever you walk out the front door. As I grew older I realized my reality was not everyones. Now as a librarian myself (for four year olds), I have discovered books are not a priority to have in the home. Instead my paper companions have been replaced by battery operated devices which provide little (if any) mental growth...oh, yes the argument can be made that learning is occuring, but hopefully these children are not going to need to know how to shoot, blow up, or fight evil forces when they grow up! I mean, a book, come one...you can pick them up just about anywhere now. Why not grab one and escape for a little while? Oh, don't get me wrong. I grew up in the 80s. When I got my Atari, I thought it was "totally awesome", but I still read books. I remain a video game player. When CB got a Wii for Christmas, it was just as much for MSC and myself. We exercise AND read!

I want everyone to have the heart palpatations I feel when I see the new release of a favorite author at the store or hear the voicemail message telling me my hold has arrived at the library. I can't wait to get to the library to pick it up! However, I have to stop, go to my computer and login to see what is waiting for me at the library. I can squeal with delight at the library...shhhh! All in all, I am a obsessed fan for books, reading, book stores (HPB is one of my favorites.."Different stores. Different stories.") and libraries. I hope I am not of a dying breed. If I am, please bury me with some of my favorite books.

No comments: